I have been making this easy-peasy chicken salad from left over chicken forever. Chicken for dinner? Then it is safe to say a chicken salad sandwich is in my near future.
It’s almost embarrassingly easy, and I am sure you have made a similar version yourself! But it is delish so here goes.
- Chop or shred your left over chicken into the size that suits you best. I just kinda juilienned this chicken.
- Do the same for celery and apples. This is what I had in my refrigerator. You know what you like, put it in there. Use what you have and what you like! If I had currants and walnuts they would be going in here as well. But I didn’t so they are not. Next time.
- OK, this part is really up to you. How “wet” do you like your salad? I just kinda eyeball the amount of mayo I need to sufficiently coat the salad. I don’t like a lot of moisture.
- But I do like curry. So I added a generous amount here, like 2 rounded tablespoons to 3/4 cup of mayo. YUMMO. I used Madras curry powder.
- Add vinegar. Usually I use apple cider vinegar in this salad, but I had a bottle of rice vinegar (which is plenty sweet). Again, the amount you use is up to you. I added enough to make consistency of salad dressing. I like it to be pourable.
- Mix all of your goodness together. Gather your bread, and any other fixin’s you might like on your sandwich. I had shredded carrots and lettuce, so yeah, they made it into the sandwich.
Hey, there’s my lunch!
I used Trader Joe’s whole wheat mini pita pockets here, but I have made this sandwich many times on croissants. Um, yeah, really good.
I would love to hear about your favorite left-over, go-to sandwich recipe. Leave the link in the comments section, I want to check ‘em out!